Wednesday, March 23, 2011

An Aerial View of the falls - by Microlight

Once you get to the falls, there are a bunch of activities that you can do while you are there. Due to our timing, unfortunately, we couldn't do a lot of them because of the season and unsafe conditions. So rafting was out, going to devils pond was out and going to the Island was out. But there was still a lot to see and do. I left it up to Arnold to get some information on what we could do, but there were two things that I knew I wanted to do - 1) an Aeriel tour of the area and 2) a sunset cruise. We could also bungee jump, zip line or do the "swing" which sounded pretty cool. When it came to doing an Aeriel tour, you had two options, a helicopter (which sounds great because I have yet to be in one) or microlight. After a bit of chatting, it was decided the microlight was the best option and I wasn't informed enough to say no. I'm not going to lie, it was such an amazing experience, but it is the most terrifying experience at the same time. A microlight is essentially a hang glider with a motor and that is about it. There is only enough room for the pilot and you - no taking pictures, nothing in your pockets, no doing anything, but holding on for dear life. So Arnold went first and when he came back, he was just sweating a bit (despite it being chilly up there) and didn't say too much about how it was. As soon as we took off, I knew, I was in for 15 minutes of terror. It was by far, the scariest thing I have ever done, and I'm not sure if I could do it again, but it was really, really amazing (when I could actually look around despite my fear). Seeing the falls from the air is soooooo different then seeing it at eye level. You could see the zig zag of the gorge and see how in 30,000 years from now, there will be a new fault line for the falls (according to our pilot). We flew over Zimbabwe and got to see a bit of wildlife as well. I loved the experience, but I was glad to be on the ground. We still haven't had a chance to view all of the pictures from the flight (but we will post them if we get a chance- a camera is mounted on the wing of the plane and it takes pictures of your flight that you can buy at the end).

On the subject of extreme sports and all that jazz, I have come to realize a couple of things about myself. I am NOT extreme by any means, I am actually a big chicken sh*t. There is a bridge that connects Zambia and Zimbabwe, where you can do the bungee jumping, gorge swing and zip line (which I thought I could handle) so we went there to check it out. There was a couple of people there doing the swing and bungee and well I wanted to puke on their behalf. It was INTENSE watching them - I almost couldn't watch. You were scared for them. I was set to do the zip line across the gorge until I actually saw where it happened and couldn't do it. You are above the falls (about 111M above ground) and either doing a bungee, gorge swing or zip line. 111M ABOVE GROUND. Like how do you even jump off that bridge to bungee jump is beyond me. So yes, it was at that point, that I realize how soft I really was. Despite, Arnold always telling me that I was soft, I came to recognize and accept that I was. I will never be "EXTREME DWARF" for him.

Thanks to everyone who has been reading - we are glad you are enjoying it. Also, by the sounds of things, people really enjoy watching the Bachelor on TV - I've had a few people tell me that they were thinking of us while they watched the Bachelor while they were in South Africa. haha ... all you closet Bachelor fans.

Much Love

Melissa and Arnold 

No comments:

Post a Comment