Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Mosi-o-Tunya

Victoria Falls, what more can I say. One of the most amazing places to see and maybe a must see. As mentioned in the previous post, our hotel was less then 5 minutes walking to the falls, located right in the park. We could hear it from the hotel. See the mist, feel the mist from the hotel. And the first time seeing it, does not disappoint. March is when the rainy season starts and the falls are fast moving and almost at peak flow. We saw people coming back from the falls soaking wet, but didn't understand, how they could get so wet? Our first trip to the falls, we brought my little Nikon camera and our rain jackets from the hike, not sure if we would need them or not. At first, we were thinking "umm we don't need these, there is barely a spray from the falls" haha. We walked to the Eastern Cataract and couldn't believe how fast the water was moving (it was actually really scary to think about) and you are sooo close to the water, with no fences, barriers, or guards watching to tell you to stay back). As we ventured around we started seeing more people that were soaking wet. So I guess this is where you need your jacket. Well I don't think either of us expected the torrential down fall that the mist gives us. In one second you are completely soaked!! Like you jumped into a pool, wet. It was the hardest, but warmest rain/mist I have ever felt. The falls are 1.7(ish)kms long and 108M tall. And during peak time, they are so impressive and powerful that its actually scary (or as Arnold likes to say "it was all out, every shift"). We have to cross "knife Edge Bridge" in order to get to another viewing point of the falls. Well, ummm, I almost couldn't cross, I started and turned around and told Arnold I didn't know if I could do it. So he went ahead of me, held my hand, and we went sooo slowly across this bridge to get to the other viewing area. I should mention that this isn't just a "bridge" that scared me. It was the fact that it was raining/misting on you like you were in the high pressure shower, it was 100M above the ground, all you could see was mist, and there was a small river running down the bridge that we had to walk across. All I could think of was "what if this bridge breaks" haha. But we made it across and the mist just got more intense closer to the other side. It was honestly, the coolest thing we have ever seen. I can't really describe how amazing it was being that close to the falls, because, well I don't think it will do it any justice. And the pictures won't help either. But, what I can tell you, was that it was one of the best things we have done so far on this trip. Hopefully we can post some pictures for you guys and yes, I took some pictures of the bridge for you, but I don't think it will capture the reason for my fear. We went and saw the falls almost every day that we were there - it was such an incredible experience that I think you can only understand when you see it for yourself.

Love Melissa and Arnold

No comments:

Post a Comment