Thursday, March 10, 2011

Driving in SA!

HA ... it is such a trip to actually drive yourself on the other side of the road and to be mixed in with the crazy drivers here (they actually remind me of how Albertans drive - FAST!! haha). I am happy to say that this time around I never got pulled over once (unlike when I drove in New Zealand and got pulled over for driving to slow haha). Arnold did most of the driving, but I helped out from time to time and its like you are a new driver all over again. Its hard!! Shifting with your left hand takes a bit of getting used to and we have a tendency to hug the shoulder so yes, we definitely had a good couple of laughs about our mad driving skills. The road signs, rules and construction here is honestly crazy. You can drive 100km+ and pass other cars (even though the signs say different) in construction zones. If someone is driving too slow for you, they will pull all the way over onto the shoulder so you can pass them (regardless of where you are) and after you pass them, you put on your four ways to say thank you. I think they should implement that into Canadian driving - its awesome and then you don't have to until a passing lane to pass. Also, passing police is okay, I did it once and so did Arnold. Its definitely a bit scary because you don't know if you are going to get pulled over or not haha, but we just did as the locals did. And chivalry isn't dead here - remember back in the day when you were taking road trips with your parents (but some of you were probably driving on your own by then) and people would flash their lights to warn you of cops ahead, well they do that here and its great! I love it - and it might have even saved me a speeding ticket as well. It's another thing that I wish Canadians would do again - I don't really see that on the highway anymore. On the topic of speeding tickets, I have a feeling we may have gotten a couple on our way back to Cape Town, but I guess only time will tell if the charges show up on our visa. LOL

Love Melissa and Arnold

No comments:

Post a Comment