Thursday, March 10, 2011

First Time for Everything...

Our journey down to South Africa was going to be a long one - we had to take three different flights in order to get to Cape Town. Our flight leaving Arusha to Dar left at 7:30pm, our next flight from Dar to Jo'Burg left at 2:30am and then our last flight from Jo'Burg to Cape Town was at 7:30am. So we knew we had a long night of travel ahead of us, but we were excited about SA and knew it would be worth it. The wait for our Jo'Burg flight at the Dar airport was long and a bit weird because we didn't have anywhere to go and we couldn't check in yet because it was too early. So we went to this cafe until we were kicked out of there and then we sat at the check in counter (amazing race styles) and waited till we could get checked in. While we were waiting we met a really cool guy from Jo'Burg who was taking the same flight as us - he was super nice and gave us a bunch of information about his country and offered to show us around if we came to Jo'Burg and even told us his brother in Cape Town could take us out as well. Anyways, after finally being able to get checked in we sat down in another cafe (at 12am) and watched the last bit of the Man U football match with a bunch of airport staff (which I thought was pretty cool - everyone down here loves their football). I think it was at that point that I started getting a bit of heartburn, but didn't think too much of it because I get heartburn every so often. Just figured that it was because I should be sleeping and my body was just off. Once we boarded our flight (at 2:30am) it progressively got worse - which once again, I wasn't worried about, it was just uncomfortable and I didn't feel the best. Seat belt sign comes on, they go through their safety routine and we were off heading to the runway and well that's when things got ugly hahha. I knew I was going to puke, but I couldn't get up because we were taking off so I had to grab those nice little white bags they provide for those situations and yes, puked my guts out into the bag. I was pretty embarrassed, but thankfully the plane wasn't full. Still not feeling better, about two minutes later, my body thought that it was time for round two (seat belt still on) so yep, was sick again into my little white bag. The worst part of it was that I had to hold onto the bag for another 5 minutes until I could get up. I think the flight attendants felt really bad for me because I looked rough, had tears in my eyes and had a bag of puke - they kept asking me if I was okay and were very sweet to me for the whole duration of the flight. I made one more bee-line for the bathroom and then passed out. Thankfully my stomach settled down after that and there were no more incidents. And so that is my story for my first time use of the white bags on airplanes and I hope that it was the last as well.

Love Melissa and Arnold

No comments:

Post a Comment