Thursday, April 7, 2011

"Gut Bomb"

On our first night in Stone Town, we stumbled upon this market that had about 30 different vendors all selling food. Since we were on our way to a restaurant, we decided that when we came back to Stone Town for our last night we would go have dinner and try out the local food.

So on our last night - we headed back to the square for some delish eats. Had I not gotten sick, I probably would have tried some of the food, but there was no way I was going through that pain all over again, so I made Arnold try all the food for me and stayed far away from any street meat. (Plus I was still on antibiotics and knew that it would just make me feel worse).

At the first stall - Arnold had a chicken kebab, samosa, salad and bread. I would have never have had the chicken and/or the salad - haha, but Arnold enjoyed it. I told him about all the signs that I saw for "Zanzibar Pizza" so I told him that he should try some. I thought it would just be your normal pizza, but I was definitely way off. We got up to one of the pizza stalls and saw how they were making them. First he would make a flat round disc (like a pancake or I guess a very thin "pizza crust") and then add in ground "beef" (or as I like to say Baboon meat), egg, mayo, onions, veggie mix, cheese, tomato and maybe another couple of surprise goodies. Then he would wrap everything up like a little parcel and fry it in his pan with a bit of egg. After it was cooked he would cut it up into squares, add a little sweet chili sauce*, thousand island sauce* and you were on your way (*could be those sauces, but I am pretty much guessing). Arnold said it was the best thing he has tasted and that it reminded him so much of Korean food, who knew! haha...

We dubbed the food that night as a "Gut Bomb" because we thought he was definitely going to be feeling that the next day, but of course he didn't - it barely even phased him.  I have come to the conclusion that Arnold has a lead stomach and for him to get sick, he would pretty much have to lick a toilet seat or something repulsive like that. Had I eaten half of the stuff he ate, I probably would be stuck in the bathroom for days and days.

I definitely recommend trying to make a "gut bomb" next time you are away in a third world country.

Love Melissa and Arnold

1 comment: