Thursday, April 28, 2011

A small island in Italy...

is where we decided to live for close to 6 weeks. I know a lot of people think its a bit weird that we want to stay in Capri for that much time, but it has been awesome and a really good place for me to be while Arnold is back in Canada.

I had to give up my dream of living in Paris, but I am very, very happy to be here vs France - mostly because I don't think the weather is nearly as nice and I definitely do not have the clothes for cold temps. My backpack consists of shorts, tanks, and flip flops (hence me nearly freezing to death when we arrived in Rome - forcing me to buy pants and shoes, oh darn! haha). So yes, that's where we currently are and will be until about mid May. We rented a really cool flat that is about a 1 minute walk from the main plaza here. It has a kitchen and wifi - all a gal really needs. After eating every meal out for the past two months, it was VERY nice to have a kitchen and the ability to cook meals vs going to a restaurant every day. BUT I should mention that there are only two elements on the stove and no oven. Plus the cooking utensils pose a bit of a problem - I had to use a pot to make scrambled eggs. Anyways, I have learnt to be a bit creative when it comes to cooking and so far so good. Also, my flat gets cleaned every day - is it bad that I LOVE someone cleaning my place every day? Because I could seriously get used to that haha - not that I leave it a mess at all, but not having to clean is pretty awesome. Something I do not miss doing.

I buy my produce from a little shop in one of the alley walk ways here, my groceries from a tiny, tiny market around the corner and my bread from one of many amazing bakeries here. For me, that is the best part about living here - going to small little shops vs Safeway to get your groceries and just buying what you need. I am finding that I do not waste food at all (unlike back home), but its also way easier to do when you live about 30 seconds (walking) from the store.

A couple of people have been asking me about the shopping and if I have been shopping - anyone that has been to Capri, KNOWS how amazing the shopping is here, IF you have a massive budget haha. It is mostly super high end designers here: Prada, LV, Gucci, etc etc. So no, I definitely have not been shopping, but they do have a couple cute boutiques here that I might check out this weekend and do a little "window shopping". Unfortunately, my bag is already heavy enough and I'm terrified to add to that weight, so no shopping for me. I think that's why Arnold is happy about backing packing - he knows I can't buy anything because I won't be able to carry my bag if I do.

Anyways, off to bed for me. I hope all is well back in Canada. And ummm, I heard it is snowing yet again - that is just crazy. I'm sending the good weather vibes your way.

Love Melissa and Arnold

PS. Is anyone as excited as me about the Royal Wedding tomorrow. I can't wait - weird? I know, but for some reason I am just so excited for it. I will be watching is all morning. Set your PVR's

ciao ciao

1 comment:

  1. Marry a handsome Prince in uniform at Westminster Abbey? Heck yes. No offence to Phil and Arn. I am going to suggest that you take to writing more often; I can't live vicariously through you if you're only updating OUR life every now and then ;). Miss you!

    ReplyDelete