Monday, April 18, 2011

When in Rome ...

After leaving Tanzania - we were off to Rome. I know that a lot of you guys reading the blog have been to Rome (if anyone still reads this blog haha), so I won't spend too much time on every detail of Italy/Rome, but I do want to tell you guys about our experience here and our daily life. It was my first time in Rome and maybe, Arnold's third (possibly fourth time). So everything, to me, was incredible beautiful and breathtaking. I still can not believe how beautiful this city is and was blown away by all the history. At every corner there is an extravagant fountain or an amazing building, so for me, it is a perfect city.

We booked a hotel for 4 nights, so it felt as though we had some time to see some of the sights and relax at the same time. Our hotel was in a great location - LOVED IT!! (the same area that Arnold stayed in last time when he was in Rome with the boys - yes, we walked past Harry's all the time. "One more Peroni"). It was close to the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. PLUS the breakfast at the hotel was sooooo good. (BTW, I base my ratings on hotel food and towels haha) So obviously, our hotel was money in the bank if I said the breakfast was good. Every morning, I would go for a run while Arnold slept for a bit longer. I felt pretty lucky to have chance to run in this beautiful park in the city center (and up and down the Spanish steps daily). After not being able to run for the past two months, I was so pumped to be able to finally run and the added bonus was that it was in Rome. We spent our days walking around checking out the sights and soaking in the Italian lifestyle. Arnold would have chestnuts from the vendors and I would get my gelato. BEST dessert EVER. It will be a small miracle if I leave Italy without weighing in at 300 lbs. The food here is ridiculous.

After spending two months in a third world country, it was sort of nice to be back to more of a "normal" state of life - meaning we were able to walk around without worrying if anything bad will happen to us and leave our hotel after dark. I truly enjoyed every moment in Rome. I think its a city that everyone must visit once in their life time and you have to take the guided tours of some of the historic sights. Paris is still my favorite city, but Rome might be taking the second spot on my list - I don't have one complaint about the city (and the shopping is AMAZING!!!!)
Love Melissa and Arnold

No comments:

Post a Comment