Thursday, April 7, 2011

Stone Town/Zanzibar

Zanzibar was our last stop for the African part of our trip (well we were supposed to head to Egypt, but had to change all of that due to the conflict in those areas right now). Anyways, Zanzibar is pretty much all about the beaches - so it was our last stop and meant for pure relaxing after two months of non-stop sight seeing. It was a perfect way to end our African Adventure. We ended up extended our stay - so we were on the Island for 11 days (I think) and it was amazing. Stone Town is probably my favourite city in all of Africa (from the ones we saw anyways). There is so much going on, so much to see and its actually very safe. It was the first (and only) city that we could walk around after dark without too much worry.

After spending a night in Stone Town, we headed north to Nungwi and spent 9 amazing days at a beach resort soaking in the hot, hot heat (+34 every day). Arnold hated it (well the heat), but I loved it. The resorts location was stunning - I have never seen water so blue like that before - and it was sooo warm, like bath tub warm. It was honestly, one of the nicest places I have ever been to. We have pictures, so hopefully, I can load them up so you can see what I mean. We played tennis (yes, Arnold won, but not by much), went sea kayaking, and layed by the pool.

On our second last night there, we went on a sunset cruise on a sail boat - and no, no not a fancy sail boat, but an old wood sail boat. They took us around to the other side of the point (we were on the east side of the point) and it was like bustloose beach vacations. Vacation braids, drunken dudes, and pretty much everything you would see if you were in Cancun. It was hilarious, because our resort is so quiet, very sleepy and then you head to the other side and its a whole different story. We got out on the party beach and swam for a bit in the nicest ocean water ever - even the sand was soft with no rocks.  After the sunset, we headed back to our hotel and in order to get back on land you pretty much have to swim to shore (a very small distance and you can almost touch right away), but you still have to swim. It's dark and I'm not a fan of the water to begin with so I'm terrified, but I have no choice but to jump in and swim. Our boat guide might have held my hand for a minute on my swim hahah...

I was sad to have to leave, but it was a perfect way to end our time in Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment