Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Update on the curse of being a Mazunga

Just wanted to give you guys a quick update and let you know that I am back to my normal self (well hopefully anyways). It was definitely not a fun experience and I really hope that I don't have to go through that again - not sure where I got the bacteria infection from, but it could have been from anything.

I had to be on antibiotics for 5 days and was taking 6 pills day - three in the morning, three at night. It was somewhat of a nightmare because I couldn't take all three pills in the morning together and/or all three pills at night together. Plus it turned out that I was allergic to the one antibiotic so we had to bring the doctor back for that and then I needed to put cream on my arms, legs and stomach where the rash was. Throughout Africa we had been taking Malarone (for Malaria) which you are supposed to take with dairy, but with the antibiotics you couldn't have it with any type of dairy and if you did - it would have to be 2 hours before or after taking the meds. AND I found out the hard way and rather quickly that dairy was definitely a no go while you have a bacteria infection (I made the mistake of thinking that a milkshake would help calm my stomach, but I was wrong. Two minutes after drinking it, I nearly puked in the restaurant and had to go lay down for an hour). So I cut out dairy totally for the duration of the meds and stopped taking my multi-vitamin because I couldn't keep track of all the rules and times.

Also, the meds were pretty horrible and I just couldn't wait to be off of them. After taking them I would lose my appetite, have stomach pains and just a bunch of other problems. But they seemed to work, so I guess 5 days of pain, is better then being sick. haha. Anyways, its over and done with and I'm very happy to be feeling 100% again :) (back to having cheese and wine all day long - woot woot)

Thanks for all the conerned emails and messages. Things are all good now

Love Melissa and Arnold

No comments:

Post a Comment