Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Florence, A Blue Hair Tour, and a French Canadian

Have lots to catch up on - here is a bit about our last couple of days in Italy

Florence is such a beautiful city, but really, I think anywhere you go in Italy will be amazing. It is a great country - I never had the desire to go to Italy before, but now I can't wait to go back and was completely shocked by how much I love it there. We spent most of our time in Florence walking around the tourist areas or else in a cafe people watching and sipping on Prosecco. I think Arnold said it is his favorite city in Italy - I still can't decide, I think Rome is still my fav, but mostly because of sight seeing there and maybe not because of the actual city vibe? Hard to say.  Either way, it was really, really nice, we even ended up adding on another night there because we were enjoying our time there - almost wish we had another day to see everything else we missed.

Because we were short on time, we signed up for one of those day tours so we could see Siena, San Gimignano and more of the Tuscany landscape. So yes, we were in one of those groups that had about 50 people following behind a tour guide that got transported around in a big bus. It was pretty funny - I never thought I would do one of those tours, but here we were in a group of 50 retired people. I think we were the youngest couple there by a long shot (and there were only two other young people in the group, but they were with  their parents) but it was actually pretty good and a great way to see some sights for a cheap price. Tuscany is a great region and the cities around Florence are stunning (very, very beautiful). I could definitely spend a lot more time there and hopefully we get a chance to go back to that area and see it over a longer period of time vs one day. Plus I want to do a better wine tour of the area LOL.

Since we have left Canada, I have only met two other Canadians. They were young girls living in Arusha doing some volunteer work- so it's been rare. Wel,l on our Blue Hair tour a lady started talking to us and asked us where we were from - after we told her we were Canadians she got very excited and told us she was from Montreal. Sweet! Another Canadian - it's nice meeting other Canadians abroad. Anyway, we must have been chatting with her for about 6 minutes and out of no where she told us that she thought it would be a good idea if Quebec separated from Canada. Ummmm what?!?!? Did she really just say that to us, 5 minutes after meeting us. Hahah, it was hilarious. That was the first time I have ever met someone that actually wanted to separate from Canada. Thankfully that awkward conversation was interrupted by our tour guide - haha

Love Melissa and Arnold

PS. Ooh and I should mention this because its pretty funny - even though we were the youngest couple in the tour group, I think we were the only ones who couldn't stay awake on the bus ride LOL. As soon as we would step onto the bus we would both pass out haha - NO one else around us was sleeping - they were all "ooh'ing and aaah'ing" over the country side and here we are sleeping. You would think it would be the other way around haha...

No comments:

Post a Comment