Monday, May 23, 2011

Massages outside of North America

While living in Calgary, I have to get frequent massages due to my back - I am pretty lucky to have one of the best massage therapists around (as well as an amazing Acupuncture person). I used to go for a massage about every 3 weeks (or I would try to) and definitely have been spoiled by amazing treatments. I normally don't go for a massage outside of Calgary unless we are on holiday because I'm so picky now and think that
the ones I get by my therapist are the best. But because we are away for a long period of time, I have had to go for a couple because of my headaches. And, here is the thing that I have noticed about massages outside of North America. They just aren't the same - and when I say the "same" I don't mean by quality, but more so by discretion used. Since leaving, I have had a total of 4 massages - two in Africa and now two in Italy.
And well with all four, I have left shaking my head - not because they were bad, but because they were so strange. People outside of NA do not use discretion - anything goes. They don't really care about covering your body parts as they do back home and act like its no big thing. Normally when you have to change from laying on your stomach to your back they create a curtain for you so that you can roll over without exposing your bits, but here, that doesn't happen.

At first, I was a bit unnerved by that fact, but I have just come to accept that it's normal and you just have to roll with it. Karley and I had quite the massage experience in Thailand and I think every since then, I have come to realize that when I go for a massage outside of NA, I can't expect the same privacy
that I get back home. Like I said, the massage part is still really good, but its just different then what I am used to getting back home. haha I'm going for a massage in the next couple of days, so I guess we will see how this one turns out. LOL

Love Melissa and Arnold

1 comment:

  1. Lol...get an Ayurvedic massage in India. Totally naked except for paper undies, lying on a wooden plank. No towels or sheets in sight. They don't even leave the room while you undress. And then they start pouring massage amounts of oil on you!!!

    ReplyDelete