Saturday, September 3, 2011

Food

I love Korean food. Every Sunday when we are home, we head over to Arnold's parents house for a family dinner and eat Korean food. (My mother-in-law (MIL) is an amazing cook BTW-  so I consider myself lucky). I have had a lot of exposure to Korean food over the past 5 years and really enjoy it. 

Arnold was worried about me and Korea - I didn't do well in China with the food or smells, so he was scared that I wasn't going to like Korea. But Korean food is sooo much better then Chinese food. The only problem with the food here, is that I like Arnold's moms cooking better haha (no, no, I'm not saying this for brownie points). I am used to the way she cooks Korean food, so it tastes a bit different here. She can't get some of the same spices, noodles etc, so her style is a bit more Western fusion, but I love her style. Plus the food here is sooooo hot - they put spice on everything haha. Even in western food - it's sooo spicy.  But don't get me wrong, the food here is so good, I'm just spoiled, that's all haha.

Kimchi is a staple here (it's served with every meal - yep, even breakfast). I think you either like it or hate it and I actually really like it. I love my MIL's Kimchi, but her sisters Kimchi is hands down, the best Kimchi I have EVER tasted. I don't know what she does, but it's good. They were all laughing at me because I ate the whole bowl of Kimchi when we went over to their house for dinner. (I think it's weird for them to see white people diving into Kimchi like that)

Arnold is loving it here because he was dying for Korean food while we were away and I have been enjoying the street Kimbap. I think my fav part about going out to eat here though, is all of the plastic food displays. Plastic food displays have taken over Korea. It's awesome and actually really helpful because you can see what you are going to order and if it looks like something you want. Since I can't read Korean, it has been very helpful for me. But it's everywhere - even at the bakery and at coffee shops.

And despite threats from Arnold, I have been able to enjoy a traditional western breakfast while we are here.


Love Melissa and Arnold

No comments:

Post a Comment