Saturday, September 3, 2011

Vanity

Korean people are sooo VAIN. And now, not all Korean people are vain, but a large majority are. It is so strange. It is not abnormal to see a girl looking at herself in a mirror for the whole duration of her subway ride. To see girls stop at windows to look at themselves. To use their phones as mirrors. Any reflective surface and they come to a dead stop and look at themselves. Not just a glance as they walk past, but a full on stop haha.

We have heard that the amount of plastic surgery that happens here is insane. Women getting their eye lids done so they have bigger eyes. Women getting their nose done so they have more of a "white" person nose. There are ads all over the subway for plastic surgery and the before and after pictures that they post are dramatic. They mess with their jaws and chins - they don't even look like the same person. And even men are vain. They get surgery to look younger too. They have a better skin program then me haha - toners, lotions, masks. 

I know, I know. North American women can be just as bad and get lots of surgeries as well. But it's different here. People care sooo much about their looks. How you look is everything here. They do not leave the house looking less then perfect - which isn't a bad thing, but it's different. (maybe I could learn from people here haha, because sometimes I look like a mess). But when you see 6 girls in a coffee shop staring at themselves in a mirror for 5 minutes, you have to shake your head.

Now, I'm not saying this to be mean, because I love Korean people, but there is definitely some problems here with how people think about beauty. Just talk to my sister and brother in law who live here and they will tell you all about it. They see it everyday. But the plus side - if I ever want to get work done, I know where I am coming hahahah...

Love Melissa and Arnold

No comments:

Post a Comment