Saturday, September 3, 2011

Subway in Seoul

The subway here is super impressive. I think, that there is something like 7 million people using the subway daily. Also, don't quote me on this, but I think Agri had told us that the totally length of all the lines is something around 150kms. So it's massive.

We mostly use the subway at non peak hours, but even when we do go at rush hour, it is not as packed as Beijing. You generally always have a bit of room and if we are on a packed train, it's only for one stop. Sometimes you do have to push a bit to get off, especially if the door is on the far side, but other then that, it's a breeze. Everything is in English and pretty straight forward.

BUT, the best part about the subway is people watching haha. Sometimes I wish I could just stay on the subway to watch people because it is that good. Korean's are very hard working (I will get to that part in a bit) and so of course, they are always tired. And when they are tired, they sleep on the train. Now, I know, it's normal to get a little shut eye on the way home, people do it all over the world. But in Korea, it's okay to sleep on the shoulder of the person beside you haha. People start falling asleep and eventually gravity kicks in and their head is near the person next to them. When it happens, that person doesn't really know what to do, so they sort of let them stay like that (even though they don't know the person doing it haha). It's a really fun watching - I like seeing what people will do and how they handle it. I always wonder how they know when it's their stop if they are sleeping all of the time.

So if you are ever in Seoul, take the subway and pay attention haha.

Love Melissa and Arnold

No comments:

Post a Comment