Saturday, September 3, 2011

Rolling out the Red Carpet...

One of the reasons for us coming to Korea, was so I could finally meet the rest of Arnold's family. As I mentioned in a previous post, I was pretty nervous. I was the first "white" person to be married into the family, so they were curious about me. Shelley's husband, Agri (who is also "white") has met all of the family here in Korea - so it was like he had already broke them in. The only problem with that, is that they thought I could eat as much as he could. LOL

 His family seriously rolled out the red carpet for me. It was such an honor to be a guest at their house and for them to welcome me to the family with such big hearts. I honestly, felt so privileged to be apart of the family. (Yep, I married into the best family ever. haha)

The first Friday we were in Seoul, we were invited for dinner at his Aunt and Uncles house (who I have met before in Canada and Thailand). I think they must have spent all day preparing food for all of us because I have never seen that much food before. (This is where I ate all of the Kimchi haha). The following week we were off to meet his family living in Daegu.  Arnold's one cousin took time off from his job so he could show us around Daegu and Busan (he even drove us there from Seoul). When we got to Arnold's aunt's house, the first thing she did was made us eat (even though it was 10pm at night LOL). The next day when we got up, she made us this HUGE breakfast - honestly, she must have been up for 2 hours cooking all of this food for us. It was pretty incredible. Korean's are a lot like Italians - they always want you to eat, eat, eat. The next morning, breakfast was the same. This incredible spread of food prepared for us. They even got Arnold a birthday cake because we were at their house the day of his birthday.

Then we were off to Daejeon to meet another cousin and have lunch all together. Once again, the red carpet was rolled out. His cousin made us FRESH sushi and sashimi. I, of course, don't eat seafood, but had to give it a try because of all the hard work they put into preparing this meal for us (and I actually didn't mind small bites of the raw fish - it was really good). I have pictures - you would be amazed with the amount of sushi they made for everyone. Once again, more incredible food and more incredible hospitality. 

I am in love with his family. They are such sweet people and I wish I had more time to spend with them. Sometimes, it's a bit tough with the language because I can't tell them how grateful I am, but we get by. I can only hope to give them the same level of hospitality if they ever come visit us in Canada.

Love Melissa and Arnold

PS. I couldn't do kimchi in the morning - I was okay with rice and soup, but couldn't do the kimchi first thing LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment