Monday, July 18, 2011

Delhi

I'm not going to lie - I was nervous about going to India. On the flight I had a lot of anxiety. I wasn't scared like I was for Africa, just nervous. I'm not sure why - but I was. Africa is a scary place - a lot of bad things can happen there, but for some reason I feel safer in India - in Africa there was no way we were going anywhere after dark, whereas in India, it's fine (it's funny - I said I felt safer, but India can be just as scary as Africa - aka the bombing in Mumbai, but once again I wrote this a while back). When we first got off the plane into that little walk way, I said to Arnold "hmmm it's a lot colder then I thought it would be" (we arrived
at 12:30am) and Arnold just laughed and said "it's the AC, it's currently +28 out" ... ohh. haha. We left the airport and bam, that heat and humidity hits you hard. It is HOT and I mean very hot. Just 3 weeks ago it was +50 there. Thankfully it cooled down to +36 while we were there.

Anyway, Delhi really surprised us. It is really beautiful and quite "civilized" haha, now I use that term relative to India standards. The traffic wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, but there is a lot of horn honking and not any real road rules. They drive where they want (lanes don't matter). Go when the light is red and pretty much just use their horn to get around. It's loud and chaotic!. But we really enjoyed Delhi and was a lot different then what we were expecting - I think we were preparing for the worst, but it's actually a great intro city to India.

We hired a driver for the day who took us around to all of the sights and in the middle of all of this noise, we would go to parks or temples and it was so peaceful and beautiful. Our hotel was in a very busy area, but you can definitely find really peaceful places there. Now we are really excited to get to Mumbai to see how it compares.

Love Melissa and Arnold

No comments:

Post a Comment