Sunday, July 24, 2011

Varanasi

Probably the most intense city I have ever been to and probably my favorite experience while in India. I think you could pretty much write a book about the city and still not cover everything. You would have to go there and see things first how to really believe it. It is dubbed as the holiest city in India. Millions of people go there to be cremated or take a bath in the Ganges. To give you a bit of an idea of what we were heading into - here is what the Lonely Planet wrote for the intro for Varanasi "Brace yourself. You're about to enter one of the most blindingly colourful, unrelentingly chaotic and unapologetically indiscreet places on earth. Varanasi takes no prisoners. But if you're ready for it, this may just turn out to be your favourite stop of all." So you can see why Arnold and I were nervous about going there - haha, they make it sound amazing, but terrifying at the same time.

Delhi was a very gentle introduction to India, but not accurate to how the country really is. I don't think I can really explain myself properly to demonstrate the sights and experiences, so I will just tell you a bit about it and hopefully get some pictures so you can see what I mean. I am going to break this post into sections because there is so much to say about it. We had such an unreal experience there and probably won't
every forget it. I think everyone needs to go to Varanasi at least once in their lifetime and give yourself fully to this amazing city. I know what they mean about the "no prisoners" part now, but if you just let go of EVERYTHING (and I mean everything) that won't happen and you will walk away with something special.

Love Melissa and Arnold

(I'm actually excited to write about it (even thought I won't do it justice) but it makes me relive every crazy moment we had there). Pictures will come, I promise (tomorrow when we have a better connection)

No comments:

Post a Comment