Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Part 1 - Traffic

The city isn't big by Indian standards, just over 1 Million people, but the traffic there is CRAZY. It seems like everyone in the city empties out onto the streets at the same time because it is non stop traffic and people. And really, where are all of these people going all at once and at all points in the day. People walking, people on motorbikes, auto rickshaws, bike rickshaws, cows, bulls, cars, carts pulled by cows, carts pulled by people - you name it, they are out there on the streets. It's like a circus - and loud, louder then any other city we have been too - horns are going nonstop. I think it's the assualt on the ears that makes it seem so much worse then it is. But coming from Europe it's a shock to the system. The one surprising thing though, is that traffic is always moving despite all the chaos.

Varanasi, was also the first city we saw the random cow in the middle of the street. I had seen it in pictures, movies, etc etc, but it still really shocked when I first saw it. It is sooo random. And they are everywhere - and not just in Varanasi, we saw cows on the street in Mumbai as well. First time is always the shocker though. (I have a good cow story coming haha). The first time I had to walk by one in the alley, I had a little panic attack, it's scary to pass those things because (in my mind) you have no idea what they could do - I hated having to walk past them. haha.

Booo, I tried to upload this video, but it's taking too long - large file so I had to cancel it.  And pics are taking ages as well - sorry!!

Love Melissa and Arnold

PS. I'm getting to the traffic in Mumbai which pretty much blew my mind. It's a different kind of traffic there - a whole new meaning to traffic jam. LOL


No comments:

Post a Comment