Monday, July 18, 2011

A white person in India

So this was a huge shock for me and Arnold. We went to our first sight of the day in Delhi and this girl came up to me (within 5 minutes of getting there) and asked if she could get a picture with me?? "Umm okay" and then it was like the flood gates opened. People would take pictures of me with their phones, camera's, whatever. And it was guys, girls, kids, families etc. They would come up to me and touch me and shake my hand. One family stopped us and asked Arnold to take their picture with me in the middle. It was WEIRD!! Then this family pretty much attacked Arnold and I and because they were so happy to see us. Shaking our hands and taking lots of photos. I must have spent 10 minutes with them getting photos taken. I'm not really sure what the fascination is with white people and why they do it, but it's very common.

Another thing that is pretty funny and a challenge (for Arnold, not me because I don't pay attention) is the amount of  people staring at me. I think the fact that I'm not covered up like the Indian women, plus being white makes for a lot of unwanted attention. Poor Arnold said that it's getting on his nerves - at first I didn't notice, but Arnold always points it out. On our flight to Varanasi the guy beside me watched me the whole flight - it was pretty uncomfortable. And then I started playing a card game on my PC and he started to help me out - haha I couldn't stop laughing. And they are not discreet about it either. I think Arnold will be very happy when we leave India.

Love Melissa and Arnold

PS sorry I wrote this while we were in India, but it didn't get posted until now, but I am going to tell you more about this issue and how it really got worse as the trip went on. I think it ruined India for Arnold actually? We have lots and lots of stories, it's just hard trying to find the right words for everything. But over the next couple of days I will try and get everyone caught up on our adventure. Heard Calgary is smoking hot - woohooo... Finally summer has arrived. Miss everyone xo

No comments:

Post a Comment