Thursday, July 28, 2011

Last bits from India ...

Here are some last little bits from India - more so just random things we found out, saw, did and our final thoughts on the country.

Wipe with the left and eat with the right - haha I don't need to explain more. It was a bit weird the first time we saw people eating with their hands in a restaurant.

They don't use toilet paper - so all of the sudden my first statement takes on a different meaning. LOL. I still can't figure out how it works and how they don't get wet in the process.
The Head wiggle - they do this funny head wiggle and you can never tell if they are saying yes or no. It could mean yes, no or I don't know
We didn't drink once while we were there - not that that is a huge deal, but booze is really hard to come across. Especially in Pushkar.

We learnt a lot about the Hindu religion. Funny that they are ALL so into religion, but then won't bat an eye when trying to scam or steal from you LOL.

India was one of those countries that we will NEVER forget - actually we are STILL talking about it to this day. I would eventually like to go back, but only to see the South. As a women, I found it exhausting and frustrating - even when I did cover up, people would still stare which made it really uncomfortable. The way women are treated or expected to behave was pretty backwards to us, especially since we grew up in North America.  Arnold had a really tough time in India - I don't think he will ever go back. For him, people looking at his "wife" like that made him want to fight people. (it was kinda cute, he was VERY protective over me). And secondly, the people - he said they weren't friendly and the only time they were, is when they wanted money from you. He was so happy to get to Thailand - he wasn't on edge and we could walk around without being bothered. I think over time, India could end up being one of those countries that makes you want to go back even though the first time around was intense - sort of like a love hate relationship. For me, my two biggest challenges were being told I couldn't wear something and hygiene haha. India is dirty.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed our stories from India. I don't think I can really explain India properly - it's very complicated and definitely not something that can be summed up in a couple of sentences. I know I made it sound bad, but it definitely wasn't all bad. (see complicated haha) Every day we would have at least one moment that was just so amazing -  it took away any negative feelings we had and put a huge smile on our face. Sort of like "did that just happen to us? wow, we are so lucky to have seen that". It was definitely a challenge and a country that tested your patience :)

One day we will go back (I'll just have to drag Arnold with me LOL). As soon as I can post pictures, I will. I know some of you guys are looking forward to them. Have a couple stories from Thailand coming and then I will let you guys know about our current location - which is and could be, maybe the best place we have been to yet? Okay, well maybe not the best, but definitely top two.

Love Melissa and Arnold

2 comments:

  1. wow! it sounds like an intense time!
    miss you so much xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are having quite the trip. I'm am glad to hear that Arnold is very protective of you, good on you Arn. Love reading the blog but can't wait til you are home. Take care, BE SAFE, Love you lots.

    ReplyDelete