Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Breaking the rules...

Arnold and I were doing so good - we had kept the promise of being on time for our flights and making sure we had more then enough time. For two whole weeks - we would triple check departure times, triple check travel time to the airport etc etc. We were on a roll and then it came crashing down. Honestly, we get ourselves into some pretty silly situations.

Three days, three flights - so as you can imagine, we were on the go non-stop. We arrived in Bangkok on July 13th at 5:35am after a red eye from Mumbai. We were dead tired - normally it wouldn't be so bad, but the flight had so much turbulence that we could barely sleep (I think we got about 45 minutes of sleep). We get to our hotel that morning and thankfully our room was ready!!! woohooo, we crash until noon and then head out for a full day of sights. After an action packed day we get back to the hotel and sort of pack because we have another early flight out then next morning. I set the alarm for 6:35am and 6:40am. Our flight isn't till 9:45am and we are about 45minutes away from the airport. Lots of time

The alarm goes off and I wait in bed for the second one to go off before I get up. I boot up my PC and check my email and then I'm about to head into the shower. For whatever reason, something in my head clicks and I panic and wonder what time it is. I remember seeing the clock on my PC saying 7:14pm (my PC is still on Calgary time, but I still use it to tell the time). My heart is beating so fast - I grabbed the Ipad and freak. It was now 8:20am!!! I forgot to change the clock from India time to Thailand time and India is 1 1/2 hours behind. Holy Crap - we are never going to make this flight. I start running around the hotel room trying to jam as much stuff into my backpack meanwhile trying to get Arnold up. Here is how it works out

Me: "Arnold get up"
Arnold: no response - still sleeping
Me: "Arnold you have to get up" now in a slightly higher voice
Arnold: no response - maybe still sleeping or maybe pretending to sleep and ignoring me
Me: now very panicked "ARNOLD, GET UP!!! We are late for our flight, OMG, OMG, OMG" in a very high voice, frantically running around screaming. haha

Finally he gets up and thankfully we had semi packed and organized our stuff the night before because within 10 minutes we are out the door. By the time we finally get a cab it is about 8:35 to 8:40am. (remember still 45 minutes to the airport with no traffic). I honestly felt really bad for our taxi driver because we were one of those back seat drivers, telling him which lane to use and trying our best not to panic. I'm not sure how we did it, but we ended up getting to the airport at 9:20am. The traffic gods were with us that morning. I ran up to the counter while Arnold dealt with the bags and got us onto our flight (haha poor guy flying standby thought he was on that flight, but we showed up 1 minute before they gave up our seat). One bag made it and the other one came on a later flight - but we were just happy to have made the flight seeing how Arnold's sisters wedding was the next day - eek.

But now we are back on track ;)


Love Melissa and Arnold

No comments:

Post a Comment