Sunday, August 21, 2011

Beijing - Food

I don't like Chinese food to begin with, so I was pretty worried about the food situation while we were there. I know that North American Chinese food is different then "normal" Chinese food, but I was still worried. Arnold was sooo excited for Chinese food - he LOVES it

It was okay, but I definitely didn't love it. You can only handle so much of it before you need some comfort food. It was definitely a big of a struggle for me. The Chinese do not understand the concept of Vegetarian and is not really Vegetarian friendly. They use this oyster sauce on everything. I don't care about the sauce because it tastes okay, but when its on everything, it becomes pretty gross. And the meat in China is definitely not a strong suit for them haah - even Arnold had a tough time with some of the meat dishes.

Now, don't get me wrong, we had some amazing meals and had fun trying new things, but I just wouldn't want to spend months in China. I got super addicted to these Onion pancakes - ugh, they were sooo good. And we actually ate street food the one night which was pretty tasty. (Yep, I keep going back there, I'm a sucker for pain haha). I only ate the street noodles in a boiling broth because I think it was the safest, but you can get some pretty crazy stuff from those vendors.

For our last night in Beijing we ate Western Fast Food - we were done with Chinese food and needed something from home.  I am never one to suggest McDonalds, but I needed a McFlurry.

Love Melissa and Arnold

No comments:

Post a Comment