Monday, August 22, 2011

The Great China Wall...

Is what Arnold called it once, so we decided to keep calling it that after LOL. But it was a pretty amazing sight to see. One of the huge reasons we decided to go to Beijing was to see the Wall. And it was definitely well worth it.

We hired a driver and tour guide for the day and learnt a bit about Chinese History and their culture. The last stop on our tour was the Wall. I don't know why, but for some reason, I thought that you would just walk up like 10 stairs and would walk along the Great Wall of China (oops the Great China Wall). And for some other strange reason, I thought it would be a flat walking path that we could just walk along. HA HA.

It is definitely not flat and not 10 steps long. I mean, I guess technically, I could have just gone up my 10 steps and said I was there and called it a day, but it's not REALLY how the wall is. It took us a full HOUR to make it to the top. Yes, one hour and a boat load of steps. It is steep and not easy - definitely not what I had originally thought. The crowds really thinned out about a third way up. I think people climbed a couple hundred steps and called it a day. But Arnold and I wanted to get to the top. It was AMAZING and beautiful. Such an incredible experience. We have a lot of amazing pictures and I promise to share them, but I need to get them onto my PC and then find wifi. But it was spectacular.

The worst part about the wall was coming back down. It took us about 40 minutes to get back down. By the end my legs felt like jelly and I didn't want to climb another set of stairs for a week after. I think I filled my quota for stair climbing for the year in one day. LOL

And one quick piece of info we learnt about the wall - is apparently, Donkeys and Monkeys were buried within the wall. HAHA I think our tour guide was having issues with English and couldn't make up her mind as to what animal was really buried there, but we got a kick out of it.

Love Melissa and Arnold

No comments:

Post a Comment