Thursday, August 18, 2011

One night in Bangkok

Just a quick note - we were in China and on Internet lock down (my blog was blocked haha) so I couldn't update anything for the past week. Have just added a bunch of new posts - so scroll down to get caught up. And more are coming. I think I will post a couple more over the next few days to get everyone up to date.  Trying to add pictures, but I need to find a wifi connection first - so I'll see what I can do.

After leaving Singapore, we headed back to Bangkok for the night so we could catch our flight to Beijing. So we had a full 24 hours to kill in Bangkok. I really like Bangkok, for the most part, but I really DISLIKE the taxi drivers there. (I'll get to that story in a moment). I have come to realize that Thai food is probably one of my favorite foods. I really, really missed Thai food while we were in Indo and Singa. I would go back to Thailand just for the great food.

Anyway, the past two times I have been there, I would stay near Khaosan Road, but this time we decided to mix it up and stay near the Metro Line so that we could take that to the airport instead of a taxi. I can't remember the name of the area, but it was weird (it's in a pretty good area for shopping with fancy hotels). It was all old white men with young Thai girls. It was a bit creepy. We didn't really like the vibe and Arnold wanted to head back to Khaosan to do a little shopping so we didn't spend much time checking it out.

I know a lot of people don't like Khaosan, but I really love it there. It has everything you need haha. We spent the night shopping, eating street food - Yep, I got back on the street food train (well I had noodles and Mango sticky rice because you can NOT pass that up while in Bangkok). Plus I figured that I probably have a couple parasites after India, what more could I do. Thankfully I didn't get sick. But I know I'm pushing my luck. And of course, we made time for a good ol' foot massage. I think I just feel safe there so I keep going back, why mess with a good thing, right?

Now about those pesky cab drivers. They will NOT put on their meter. It's crazy. They will take you somewhere for about triple the price and if you ask them to turn on their meter they tell you to get out. It would take ages to get a cab that was willing to put on their meter. The morning we were leaving we needed to get a taxi to the airport train link, but the  driver dropped us off at the city line vs the airport line so we had to spend more money to get to the proper area and then wait for another train. I was soo mad and maybe was acting like a brat, but I was really annoyed with the taxi situation haha. That is my only issue with Bangkok, other then that, I think its a great city.

Love Melissa and Arnold

PS Sorry again for not being able to update, but I am back on track now. Hope you guys are enjoying the posts, its been one crazy adventure :)

No comments:

Post a Comment