Thursday, August 18, 2011

T-Rex Arms

So sorry for the delay in posting, but I have been on Internet lock down in China - my blog was blocked while we were there so I couldn't update, but I have a BUNCH of stories coming. You will be caught up by this weekend :) 

On our last full day in Gili, we decided to hire a boat to tour the other islands and go snorkeling. I have no desire to snorkel (I hate the water), but I wanted to see the other islands so I was all for it. Two friends that we had been traveling with in Thailand joined us for a couple days in Gili and were coming as well because they were sooo excited to see the turtles.  We were on a mission to find turtles to snorkel with.


Of course everyone made me get snorkel gear "just in case" and said that it would be fun. Everyone got off at the first snorkel spot and I stayed on the boat watching and relaxing. Then we head over to Gili Meno to check out the baby turtle sanctuary - which, BTW, were so cute. Then began our hunt for the Sea Turtles. Just off the coast of Gili Meno, our boat guide spotted some turtles. So of course everyone got really excited and then came the peer pressure. "Come on Melissa, it will be so fun. You will get to see the Turtles. Don't worry, it will be amazing" etc etc. I had three people telling me that I had to do it, so of course, I caved to the pressure and put on my gear.


I have to tell you, I was terrified. I don't like the water to begin with - it creeps me out. And I don't really like seeing what's lurking below. The first time I went snorkeling was a bit of a gong show and then the second time I got stung by a jelly fish. So for me - I was happy to look through the glass bottom on the boat haha. The girls jump in and then start yelling that they could see the turtles. Next, it's my turn - I jump in and try and keep it together. I put my face in water and right away, I can see a pretty massive turtle, which was soo amazing but I'm freaking out. Arnold said he has never seen my eyes go so big and I'm breathing like I've just ran a 100m sprint. When you have fins on, you don't really need to move around lots to keep float, but I'm in such a panic that I'm thrashing about, meanwhile still breathing like I have been sprinting. We spent about 15 minutes in the water watching the turtles, but I still wasn't able to fully relax. At the first mention of heading back to the boat - I was off like Michael Phelps. Everyone was laughing at how fast I swam back to the boat.


We have one more snorkel spot to check out once again the pressure for me to come. So I get in and same reaction - I just can't help panic. But this time the T-Rex arms come out. I am trying to swim with my arms, but I'm keeping them close to my body because I don't want the fish to touch them so I am doing a modified dog paddle/T-Rex swim. Then I try and reverse if the fish are too close or look gross and that doesn't work so well. LOL The fish weren't even close to us, but I am just a big baby.


I'm still not sure about the whole snorkel thing, but maybe I will try it again.



Love Melissa and Arnold

No comments:

Post a Comment