Tuesday, August 2, 2011

$10 a night

After spending time in Africa and Europe - we were excited to get to Asia because it would be sooo much cheaper and we wouldn't have to spend as much money. So far on our trip, Africa is the MOST expensive place we have been - hands down. I think I have mentioned it before. It destroyed our budget for the trip haha. NOTHING is cheap there - not even food. Once, we had to pay $60US for a cab from the airport to the hotel - that is more expensive then a cab in NYC. Crazy, right.

Anyway, I always told Arnold how cheap Thailand was and that you could get cute little bungalows on the beach for $10 a night. After coming from India, Thailand actually seemed expensive - imagine that. But I think that is because we could eat dinner for $6 CND for two people in India. Whereas in Thailand, it would cost us $12CND. While we were in Ko Samui, we got a little spoiled by the places we were staying - places we wouldn't have gone to while on this trip because it was outside my "budget range" (haha Arnold hates my budget range - but I'm cheap). But it was for my sister in laws wedding and we wanted to stay where they were staying - so I dusted off our wallet and splurged on nice hotels for 5 nights.

As I mentioned before, we left Samui to head to Haad Yuan which didn't have a lot of hotel options. You had cheap bungalows and one "expensive" hotel. So on our first night we all decided to check into the cheap bungalows. There was 8 of us - who were all way past the days of being poor students. I couldn't believe it, we found a room for $10 a night - a cute beach bungalow. HA HA HA. All 8 of us lasted one night in the $10/night accommodations and decided we weren't cut out for it and checked ourselves into the expensive hotel for two nights. So yes, I'm proud to say that we spent $10 on a room for a night, but I will NEVER do that again. Last time we were in Thailand, my girlfriend and I stayed in very cheap places, but we thought they were great. How things have changed. LOL

I remember waking up in the middle of the night and Arnold said he got bite by a mozzie on the back of his neck and asked me to get the cream for it. So I took a look at it, realized that it definitely wasn't a mozzie bite, put a little cream on it for him and kept my mouth shut. I knew that if I told him it wasn't a mozzie bite he would freak out and not sleep. I finally let him in on the secret once we woke up. Needless to say, I was happy to break my hotel "budget" once again for a nice place to stay.

Love Melissa and Arnold

No comments:

Post a Comment