Sunday, August 21, 2011

Energy Wasters

During our travels, we have come to notice how much we (and a lot of people in NA) waste energy and water. Okay, well maybe waste a lot of other things in general. People all over the world are very conscience of conserving power and water - which isn't really the norm in North America. In most hotels we have stayed at, you would have to put in a key card in order to get power in the room - and when you left, you took the key, shutting off all power. (Power conservation was really big in Europe - I think more so for the cost of electricity, but they are very careful about using power).

A lot of hotels have a switch for the hot water - so you switch it on before you have a shower and off after you are done. Sure, it can be a bit of a hassle, but I think it's a good hassle. We also saw a lot more use of solar power and recycling of rain water. Or sockets that required you to flip on the switch in order to get power to them. A lot of toilets we used would have the "half flush, full flush" option - I know, I know, people have those toilets in NA, but we don't at our house and our house was built like 7 years ago.

Now, I'm not saying I'm going to go all hippie style when I get home, but Arnold and I have both said that we would like to try and reduce how much we waste. Even when it comes to food - we would throw away a lot more produce then we should have - so it's something we are going to work on. It was an eye opener for us and something we can do to make a positive change in our lifestyle when we get back. 

Okay, I'm done with self reflecting now haha.

Love Melissa and Arnold 

No comments:

Post a Comment