Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Scooters

A popular thing to do in Thailand is rent a scooter. The first time I was there, we saw loads of people with road rash and were told that renting a scooter was a bad idea and to stay away from them. You didn't have to tell me twice- I had no interest in looking like half of the people we saw.

This time around, was a different story. Once we got to Ko Tao, we decided to rent scooters. I was terrified. First off, you always hear about how they will charge you small fortune if you put one little scratch on the bike and to be very careful when renting. Secondly, I didn't want to drive one or be on the back of one. But I was out numbered and had to suck it up. Arnold was going to drive and I was going to sit on the back. After everyone had signed the forms and inspected the bikes, we were on our way. Sort of. LOL

The roads in Ko Tao aren't the best, we were on a back road so it was in terrible condition. Not an ideal starting point for people who have never rode a scooter before. I think it took everyone about 10 minutes to get the hang of things and then we were off to tour the island. Thankfully no one crashed, no one damaged the bike and we all walked away unharmed, but it was pretty funny to watch. At one point, one of the girls we were with (who is 19 weeks pregnant) was being chased by a dog on her scooter, but she just kept on going. I wouldn't let Arnold go faster then 40km/hr. It was actually a lot of fun and now I'm looking forward to my scooter ride in Korea ;) haha.

Love Melissa and Arnold

No comments:

Post a Comment