Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A runner's mind frame...

Since we have been in Europe, I have been able to run. I like to take advantage of it because I know once we get to Asia, it won't be so easy for me. Anyway, in a couple of the cities we have been in there has been a fantastic pathway systems for runners. Not to rub it in, but right along the ocean for miles and miles. Stunning.

I have always been a fickle runner - I don't like running near people that have heavy feet, make noise, etc etc. It really annoys me. I either have to stop running (if I'm on a treadmill) or get away from them (if I'm on the path in Calgary). I don't know why I'm like that, but I find it really throws me off and it's ALL I can think about. I have been in a couple of races where I'm near people that are loud and it kills me. So when I run on a path, I need my space. And this is where I get a bit edgy. I have no problem with the runners that bolt past me - there are a lot of wicked athletes out there that I will never be as fast as, but I have a HUGE problem with the people that run behind me and don't pass me. Like either pass me or don't run close to me - is that really to much to ask?

So in a couple places we have been - people have been running behind me, but won't pass and this is when I start getting annoyed. First time was in San Seb, this person was behind me and wouldn't pass, so I kicked it up a notch for almost 2km, but he kept up with me - finally he turned off and I was relieved. But I didn't realize he was actually heading up the same road I was to get to our hotel. (he just knew a different turn off). Well of course the road leading to the hotel was a hill and I knew I needed to pass him to "prove a point" what this "point" was I don't know, but I needed to do it. He was totally doggin' it up this hill and I blew past him making me feel great hahah... See... I have problems.

Another time was in Nice - it was +24 (at 8am) and this old guy was right behind me, but wouldn't pass me. Being crazy ol' me, I started to run at a faster pace, and of course, he decided to keep up with me. It drove me nuts - I tried everything I could to lose him, but nothing was working. Finally I had to give up, I was running way to fast and decided that I shouldn't be "a crazy" person. So he passed me, but I just got mad at myself and had to "prove" some point (not known to me or that person) and blew past him in the end. Hahah. I think that a lot of runners probably go through this, but I think its stupid yet funny.

I'm sure the person running next to me isn't thinking the same thing, but I can't help wanting to "beat" them. Anyway, I thought you would get a laugh out of me being me. (I have done this in Calgary before too). Yes, you can call my crazy, I know. LOL but I like to think of it as "motivation".

Love Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment